HEY I WROTE A THING. My story The Gorgon and the Guildpact is about Ravnica and petrification and illusions and MURDER. Check-check it, yeah.
This is a great story!
*Screeches because Kallist*
*and because Kavin*
Seriously every time I mental screeched WotC mentioned Kallist. And I’m glad to see Jace cared and even will go help Garruk.
Q:Nissa as the most caring for the greater good? I thought from her story and flavor that she only cared about Zendikar.
I think one’s opinion of Nissa depends on what you think she believes — how you think she reacts — after seeing the consequences of her choices. Sorin wanted to re-trap the Eldrazi on Zendikar and she wanted Zendikar to be free of them. Sorin had much more experience and perspective than she did, but of course it was Nissa’s home world that hung in the balance. Does she regret her choices? Has she learned from them? Or is she still stuck on the idea of preserving Zendikar at the cost of, potentially, every other world?
More than any other person, she got to see what impact her choices made. If Nissa can grow as a character from seeing the results of her actions, then I feel like she has the potential to have a plane-wide perspective, even wider than most other planeswalkers. In a way, she’s already at “plane-wide,” and she might just need to make the leap that “plane-wide” isn’t wide enough. To me it’s within her to care about the greater good for all planes — not in spite of her choices on Zendikar, but because of them.
Maro ofeten bothered with Jace-hate problems. Now, It seems that Mr. Beyer has got Nissa-hate problems…
#we’d need to see more story taking place during or after the events of ROE to know more #it’s just how I think of where she might be at this point
Q:What is your proudest achievement as rules manager?
Q:"spacejawa asked: Who would you say are probably the most good and most evil of the planeswalkers?" "Maro Answered: Most good? Probably Gideon. Most evil? Probably Nicol Bolas. Ask Doug. I’m curious what he says." So what do you say?
Oh man. It soooo depends on what you consider good and evil. I’m going to give this a try, but I have to be all complex and wordy about it, because of my debilitating allergy to oversimplification. Let’s do bullet points:
- Most likely to put oneself in danger to help others: Gideon. Runner up: Koth.
- Most conscientious (and therefore most likely to be wracked by guilt): Elspeth. Runner up: Karn.
- Most potential for joy and big-heartedness: Chandra. Runner up: Tamiyo, which feels strange to say, but I guess that’s how I think of her.
- Most calming influence in times of distress: Ajani. Runner up: Jace.
- Most confident, self-actualized, and capable of great things: Liliana. Runner up: Xenagos.
- Most focused on the greater good and plane-wide threats: Nissa. Runner up: Gideon.
Lots of good hero candidates in there. Which one is the Absolutely Most Shiny-Haloed depends on your values, or possibly on what’s going on in their lives around them. Grim circumstances can make heroes shine even when they weren’t picked for Most Likely to Help Old Ladies Cross the Street in their high school yearbook.
And now for eeeevil.
- Most hungry for vast power: Nicol Bolas. Runner up: Is it Tezzeret or Liliana? Or is Liliana actually first? They all want to be first, of course. I think Tezzeret is more of a “I’ll show everybody” guy rather than “I want to rule everything” guy, but I mean, the difference can be slim in practice. Vraska’s in the running here too, potentially. Oh, black-aligned characters! You love this category.
- Most power and resources combined with desire to harm others: Nicol Bolas, for sure (remember, we’re just talking about planeswalkers here — certainly there are powerful threats out there that are not planeswalkers). I think this makes Bolas a good candidate for “most evil,” just because his potential for wide-ranging harm is so vast. Runner up: It’s funny, but I am personally pretty scared of cursed Garruk right now — he is less stoppable than people think. But he’s a distant second — he’s formidable, but doesn’t have an organization like Bolas does. Tezzeret would love to be in contention in this category someday.
- Most interested in intentionally causing distress: Tibalt. Runner up: Ashiok.
- Most apathetic, or least caring about individual people: Sorin. Runner up: Tibalt. Domri might be in here too? Am I mischaracterizing Domri?
- Most unstable: Sarkhan. Runner up: Ral Zarek, maybe? You could put Garruk here too, currently.
There are many more gradations on the nuanced Morality Landscape. I think of it more as a complicated grid or multidimensional space than a simple sliding scale of “best” to “baddest.” All that said, Bolas probably wins for baddest no matter how you crunch the moral math.
What do you think? What are your picks? Should we consider other good/evil categories?
I’m really glad to see the fact that Mr Beyer consider Nissa as “Most focused on the greater good and plane threats” character.
#OPINIONS I gots ‘em#planeswalkers#good people and that other kind#oversimplification allergy#see this is why I can never crank out a hundred responses in a day like certain other people#I get too swept up in nuance#GLORIOUS NUANCE#*rolls around in details*#*can’t give a straight answer to save his life*#*will never be a ceo for this reason*#*shrug*
Q:*SPOILERS CONTAINED IN THIS QUESTION* Was making a UW Jace during Return to Ravnica Block ever considered? I think it would fit the flavor of his new role as the Living Guildpact.
dievoelinnhok replied to your post “dievoelinnhok replied to your post “some ppl blame me cuz I don’t ship…”
I CAN DEAL WITH THIS. Though I’d find Tezz/Silas/Baltrice hysterical. So much hate… soooo much hate XD.
dievoelinnhok replied to your post “some ppl blame me cuz I don’t ship Jace with Chandra. some ppl will…”
I ship Jace with his terrible decisions *cough*Kallist*cough* and Chandra with Gideon really damned hard. I’m not averse to other random ships though. Like Jace/Tezz, though Tezz/Silas, Tezz/Baltrice are more my jam.
This. Oh… now, terrible decisions/Jace-bad decisions/Jace shipping war begins!
Confession. Tezz/Jace/Silas threesome AU is my guilty pleasure…hehe